Help Us Celebrate 25 Years of Renewing Hope!
In 1988, Jim Sowell, a Dallas businessman and member of the Preston Road Church of Christ, moved by his concern for the problems associated with homelessness and poverty, took action in response to the human suffering he observed in the community. Working with friends at church and in the business community, Mr. Sowell founded the Central Dallas Food Pantry, located originally in a strip shopping center at Henderson and Central Expressway, which has since grown to one of the largest local, faith-based non-profit organizations in Texas, serving over 53,000 different people each year.
We don’t fight poverty for the poor—we fight poverty with the poor. Our 25-year commitment to addressing the root causes of poverty, both on an individual and systemic level, combined with our unyielding commitment to stewardship (over 92 cents of each dollar goes directly to services for those in need) makes CitySquare a proven leader in our community and beyond.
We’re Here…for good! Our multi-year strategy to fight poverty head on!
Celebrating nearly 25 years of service to the community, CitySquare is one of the largest, most effective faith-based organizations in North Texas. We operate a network of services and programs focused on fighting poverty through hunger relief, health care, housing and hope.
In 2012, we anticipate reaching over 50,000 neighbors and families. With more than 92% of revenue going directly to programs, CitySquare is a United Way agency that has been ranked a 4-star charity by Charity Navigator since 2005.
- Improve the supply of free and affordable food products to a vastly under-served area where nutrition and the challenges of obesity are important community concerns especially to children and youth in the area.
- Increase the number of livable wage jobs thanks to the presence of Work Force Solutions of Greater Dallas and LIFT, thus helping stabilize the homes and families in the area.
- Increase the reach and capacity of our health and wellness “products” that coordinate efforts with the food distribution and food preparation aspects of the Center.
- Promote wellness, chronic disease prevention or control, and help parents learn improved healthy food preparation skills for the benefit of families, young children and youth.
- Establish a positive new portal into S. Dallas Fair Park that signals hope and provides opportunity for everyone.
While there is much to celebrate as we mark our first 25 years, the truth is, there is also much yet to do. We are grateful for your support and pray that you will deepen your partnership with us as we work with the thousands of neighbors who are interested in finding and creating better, more productive, self-sufficient lives for themselves and their families. Not everyone can be here. CitySquare is here. Won’t you join us in the fight?
How you can Celebrate with us all year long?
Donate a dollar. We are efficient. 92 cents of every dollar goes right back into programs to help neighbors in need.
Donate an hour. We couldn’t do it without you. Donating your time and talents to CitySquare will truly change someone’s life.
Donate your voice. Stand Up and Advocate!
Donate an item. Food, hygiene items, medical supplies, cars – we take it all! Every item helps our efforts go farther.